Welcome to "Stuff I Like"!!! This is a place where you can read about:

Guns! Reviews, Favorites, things that go "BANG".

Paintball! Games, markers, and stories.

Hunting! Gear, videos, stories, and stuff that I find that's worth sharing.

The Military! Shiny new military toys, stories, pretty much anything that the military thinks is cool.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: Savage Mk. II

I thought I'd start my blog with something simple. A firearm review. Today I'm going to tell you about the Savage Arms Mark II bolt-action rim-fire rifle.

General Info

The Savage Mk. II comes in two calibers: .22LR and .17HMR. I personally use the .22, mainly because if I didn't, I'd have to find some way to get rid of the big stack of 500 round boxes of .22LR ammo I already have. No point in buying one caliber you don't use, when you already have the ammo for another one.

Moving on, the MK. II is a bolt action rifle that feeds with a 5 or 10 round magazine. The magazine is a banana-style, similar to an AK-47's magazine; you curl it into the magazine well when you insert it. The bolt's movement is very short and slick, which means if I really wanted to, I could put out 2 shots in one second. That way, if you're tracking a ground squirrel as it zooms towards a hole, you can afford to miss, because chances are (if you practice) you'll be able to shoot again quickly.

The MK. II has a synthetic black stock, and the whole rifle weighs in at 5 pounds. Located on the butt-stock and the fore-stock are swivel studs, which allow for slings or bi-pods to be mounted. There is a .22 scope mount located on the top of the receiver, and it is long enough to customize your scope's positioning to your exact needs. There are also iron sights mounted, for those who prefer them over a scope. 

What I like About it


I took the rifle out to the range last month to sight it in. I had purchased a 4x Burris scope, a Winchester bi-pod, and a tactical sling, to customize it to my needs. I after a couple mags of shots, I was really enjoying myself. Let me tell you: That rifle is a tac-driver! Pretty soon I was hitting steel targets at 215 yards.

I like that the magazine has a 10-round capacity. It's large enough that the shooter will spend less time reloading, and small enough that reloading the magazine itself isn't time-consuming. For the reader's information, Savage Mk. II magazines run about $15, less if you can find a good deal.

I also like the length of the rifle: 39.75 inches. It's got a long enough barrel (21") to hit far targets, yet is compact enough that you won't be constantly hitting the muzzle on various things.

Conclusion

I like this rifle. It's great for target practice, as a first rifle for a kid, and for varmints. It's a great addition to the gun collection, and I'd get it again if I was in the market for another .22.

10/10

If you'd like to purchase any of the things I mentioned above, or if you just want to take a look at one, visit HERE 



Rifle: Savage Mk. II

Scope: BSA S4X32WR 22 MAT 4X32 W/R

No comments:

Post a Comment